Friday, February 11, 2011

Serious Eats, Amazing Sweets

Last night I made my own version of a quick beef wellington sort of thing.  Seasoned hamburgers cooked and then placed into puff pastry and baked until golden and oh so inviting.  It was absolutely remarkable, I can't imagine what a real beef wellington tastes like.  Oh my!


I served it with mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy.  I would have added corn or green beans or even a salad to round it out but I ran out of time and quite frankly, the will. 

I cooked all day.  I've been wanting to make my own bread, with my own hands rather than a bread maker, for a very long time.  Yesterday I did.  First time in my life.  I made a recipe from Food.com called Romano's Macaroni Grill Rosemary Bread. I didn't have rosemary so I made it without that.  It turned out rather good but I think I need some major practice to make it look and taste great. 

I was disappointed in my bread attempt so I was super stoked when we ate the dessert that I made.  It was Ina Garten's Brownie Pudding recipe.  The recipe says to place it in a baking dish but I decided to put it into four ramekins instead.  I put the extra batter into a mini cupcake pan.  The cupcakes were like mini brownies but harder, almost like a cookie, great in flavor but not in texture.  The ramekins were AMAZING!  This simple recipe is so stinkin' good I wanted to make it again today.  I rethought that when I tried to zip my pants this morning.  Anyway...the tops of this brownie pudding is hard so you have to break it like creme brulee and when your spoon goes into the chocolate heaven, creamy, fudgy goodness your actually think you'll die.  It was that good! It baked for an hour, like the recipe called for, and it was still gooey and yummy and warm and delicious.  I wish I had another one right now! It's very rich so two people could share one dessert. 

I used the rest of my creme fraiche as the topping.  I beat it with sugar and heavy cream until it was thick and dolloped that on top.  OH MY GOODNESS! I should have taken a picture! I will next time. 

All in all, beside the bread, which I should mention tasted good and my family enjoyed, the evening was a food loving, mommy blogging, kitchen goddess in the making's dream. 

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment