Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Random Thoughts

Before there was texting, twitter and all other forms of computerized conversation, abbreviation was reserved for quick note taking and list making. Now though, it's a form of communication that includes letters and numbers, sometimes even punctuations that form faces that are supposed to equate emotion.

For example: B4 there was txtg & twtr & all other frms of pc convs, abb. was rsrved 4 quck nte takg & lst tkg. :-)

Crazy - through one generation, we have managed to belittle the beautiful English language into mere letters. What would Virginia Woolf, T.S. Elliot, Emily Dickinson, and Ernest Hemingway say?

Instead of words expressing emotions, a complex human response to various conditions, we've replaced the with: ;-) (wink, playful,) :-( (sad) :-O (shocked) ;-P (tongue out, silly) :-/ (confused, upset, embarrassed) :-D (happy, joy).

Reminds me of when I was in grammar school and all of us kids made words out of the numbers on the screen of a calculator. (8008= BOOB) (1134=hell (upside down). We thought we were so clever, now we've lost all wit to simply save time.

I'm by no means saying I'm not just as guilty of this, I send out tweets and texts every day of my life with absolutely no vowels. I myself have contributed to this phenomenon. Saving time while still communicating is better than no communication at all. Right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment