Monday, May 3, 2010

Oil Between My Toes



On the cusp of a life altering event, I sit now in my living room, just outside, within view, lays the Gulf of Mexico. A family and pet friendly, much loved beach that we and many others have enjoyed without worry that it will be taken away from us. That is now about to change. With the oil fast approaching, there is nothing we can do but wait. Already seafood is all but gone. Crippling the job scene that overwhelms this area. A war zone deep down in that vast open water is now showing it's ugly face on our clean white beaches. A beach that has just now started to come back alive after being crippled by Katrina and it's aftermath. Life was just getting back to normal. Tourism coming back. Our beaches breathing life back into the small communities desolated by the hurricanes complete wipe out.

Yesterday, my father, going down to the beach to see if he could detect any first signs of oil in the water, was startled by the sight of a two foot by two foot sea turtle, dead and bloated, it's final resting place, our beach. A victim of the catastrophe at sea that is making it's way for us.


I'm not sure how to feel or what to do. All I'm sure of is that I feel, deep inside my soul, a sad black cloud coming toward us, suffocating our fresh sea air, killing in it's path all signs of life. This time a war zone taking the lives of helpless creatures, infinite numbers of dead and dying lives.

I'll definitely be writing more on this subject, for it's about to be at my front door and our new "normal".

1 comment: