Monday, May 3, 2010

Allergy Woes

Allergies, in a word, SUCK!

Allergies are brought on by our immune systems feeling attacked and fighting back with all their might. I don't know about the next allergy stricken person, but I've had it! My immune system needs a hard fast attitude adjustment.

I have no idea what I'm allergic to but it seems to be everything. I'm not talking about food allergies or even pet allergies but those weird "seasonal" allergies. Which by the way, the word seasonal seems to imply a short term allergy, doesn't it? My allergies warrant a new name...perhaps "consistent, without let up, every moment of every day of MY LIFE" allergies...hmmmm maybe a little dramatic...which reminds me, I may change my blog to Write Now...a DRAMATIC mother's musings.



Anyway, I've tried everything. From prescription to over the counter to holistic. From Allegra to Benadryl to Hylands Sinus products. I should add that I'm addicted to nose spray. This is no small problem either. I believe there are web sites for nose spray addicts. (I'm pretty sure my sense of smell is not what it once was...this is for real people)

My midwife told me, after my then actual seasonal allergies took a turn for the worse during my first trimester,that pregnancy can make your allergies worse. That makes total sense, right? Since your body is working overtime for your baby in progress.

However, they never got better. Does my body think I'm still pregnant? Is my body making fun of me. Is my immune system mocking me for not losing the weight? Okay, I think I've tapped into something here. Moving on.

I think I'm going to have to buckle down and go to an Allergist and get this crap figured out before I'm in a support group saying: My name is Lydia and I'm addicted to nose spray and on the verge of insanity due to my insubordinate immune system".

1 comment:

  1. You can get addicted to nose spray, and it has diminishing returns - the more you use it, the less it works.
    You don't mention having tried a neti pot, but it might be worth a shot for you.
    http://www.theramblingtruth.com/2010/05/11/my-first-neti-pot/

    ReplyDelete