Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Space of my Own


Today I decided to create a writing space somewhere in my home. That way I will have a spot to go to when I feel inspired. I don't have enough space to have a room to myself so I had to make do with what I did have.

~~~

I chose a corner in our living room. It's well lit, has windows surrounding, and is close to my books.

~~~

Of course this means I will be writing within the confines of a well lived room with television and all. This will be the challenge.

~~~

Here is a picture of what the corner looked like before I transformed it into a comfy writing space.

I have been reading articles and checking out blogs lately on how other writers feel about their writing space. So many are very much interested in having a space of their own for writing. Others don't really care as long as it's quiet and alone.

~~~

I'm a mother of a three year old as well as a fourteen year old. So being alone is a rarity. In fact some days the only private time I get (and I have to sneak to get it) is when I use the restroom. The idea of quiet is a laugh really, so why fight it any longer? I thought maybe if I centrally located myself in the home, right smack in the middle of things, put on some headphones and put my nose in my computer or notebook, maybe, just maybe, I might be left alone.

~~~

I know when I write I get in a zone so I know I must look busy! Right? My husband and teenager are bound to see this and think twice before approaching as well keeping the three year old busy for a bit. I see them looking at me often...thinking now doubt, "what could she be writing about?"..."Is it really necessary for me to interrupt her to ask where the bread is? Maybe I should open the fridge and look for it myself"...hmmm...(This is what I'm hoping for anyway).

~~~

So here is my new Writing Space. Bordeaux, my writing partner approved immediately.


Virginia there to watch over me. I love this picture of her. I have plenty of pens and pensils and books, notebooks and a few small items that make me comfortable.

(Mind you, I used what I had around...I may end up going to the store and picking up some small items to make an even more comfortable spot.)


Like I said this spot has great light, windows, and is close to my books.




















1 comment:

  1. I love this post. I linked it as a related post to my piece, The Write space:

    http://davidhuntershaw.blogspot.com/2010/03/write-space.html

    ReplyDelete